Friday, June 29, 2012

Bars/Restaurants

9-8
Dairy Queen
I went to the DQ on Sring Mountain and Jones today.  I ordered the #2 Combo which is their classic 1/4 pounder with cheese.  The total is $5.09 plus tax but they tried charging me 59 cents for extra pickles which I thought was really stingy, so I told them to just make it with normal pickels.  It took almost 10 minutes for me to get my food.  The drink was loaded with ice and in a very thin cup, what little french fries there were, were hot and pretty tasty.  I have to say the burger was one of the best I've ever had at a fast food joint.  I was very surprised becuase it didn't look that appetizing.  The meat looked kind of scrawny and the cheese wasn't melted at all.  However the meat was hot and juicy, the condiments were fresh and cold, and the bun was warm and fluffy.  Also the burger had extra pickles on it.  I'm not sure if that was a mistake or their way of taking so long.

8-15
CICI'S PIZZA
Until the end of August CiCi's is having happy hour buffet's for only $2.99 after 8pm.  I'm not a big fan of their pizza but you can't beat that price.  I overheard the manager say that one day next month will be customer appreciation day and they'll be having that price all day long.  I went to the one on Tropican and Eastern last night and it was decent.  Plus on the back of my receipt was a coupon to get a buffet for $3.99 at anytime of the day.  I'll definitely be going back at least once a week until the end of August.  

7-21
SICILY'S PIZZA
Last weekend I ordered from Sicily's pizza on Twain for the first time.  I asked what the carry out special was and he said he could do a large for $7.99.  I confirmed it was one topping and placed my order.  He asked if I was picking up (people are so dumb in this town).  I said yes and he asked when I would be there.  I said I could be there in 10 minutes.  He said alright and hung up without getting my name or number.  I wondered if he would really make my order but I took a chance and drove down there. 
The guy was waiting for me outside the door when I drove up.  The place is pretty ghetto.  It's in a crummy strip mall next to a laundramat.  There are some tables and chairs that look like he got from a junk yard.  He tried charging me 50 cents extra for using a debit card but I told him that was too much so he didn't charge me.  The pizza was excellent however.  I'll probably be going back, but next time I'll bring cash.

KJ KITCHEN
I went back to KJ Kitchen yesterday.  I got there about 10 minutes to 3pm.  I sat down and was not given a lunch menu.  When the waitress came I asked if they still had the lunch specials.  She said it ended at 3.  I pull out my phone, checked the time (2:55) and said it wasn't 3 yet.  Without saying a word she turned around and went into the kitchen.  I don't know if she was going to ask the manager or what, but I got the impression if I had demanded the lunch price they would have spit in my food, so I got up and left.  I won't be going back there again.

IRENES BAR
Last week I went to Irene's Bar on Spring Mountain and Lindell. When you walk in there's a kitchen to the left and horseshoe bar to the right. Quite a few people were there but not much chatter. They also have a couple booths and tables. I sit down and order their 16 oz steak special for $8.95. The bartender tells me she'll call it in for me but normally you just order at the kitchen. Then she asks if I'd like some popcorn. I say "sure" and she gets me a paper plate of popcorn from a genuine popcorn machine. There were several flatscreen tv's playing a basketball game. They have some draft lager special for $1.25. I inquired about it and Robin the bartender gave me a small sample. It was too bitter for my taste so I ordered a Miller Light draft instead which I think was $2.25. They also had Foster drafts for $3.00. The food took a little while to come but it was tasty enough. The steak came with vegetables, baked potato, and a salad. I'd say a pretty decent value for the money.

KJ KITCHEN
Last Saturday I had lunch at Chinese restaurant on Spring Mountain and Jones called KJ Kitchen.  It's kind of a small restaurant but had a very nice ambiance.  I was actually afraid it might be too expensive but they had a $4.95 lunch special with about a dozen dishes to choose from.  Now the take out menu says the special is 11am to 3pm Monday to Sunday but I was still able to get it for that price.  I don't know if the take out menu is outdated or if they just changed it.
Anyway every table gets a complimentary teapot full of hot tea.  I eventually order the kung pao chicken.  It was busy but the service was pretty slow.  From the time I entered until I got my food was between 15 and 20 minutes and the waiter said nothing to me when they dropped off the plate.  The portion was a decent size.  The chicken looked very appetizing but the egg roll looked like someone beat it with an ugly stick.  The egg roll wasn't that bad, although it would have been better with some kind of dipping sauce.  There were no peanuts in the kung pao, I dont' remember any celery either, and the peppers were sliced rather thick.  It still tasted pretty good, as did the rice.  Overall I'd say it's a decent value for the money as long as customer service isn't real important to you.  It's probably a better place for take out then dining in.

No comments:

Post a Comment